That was a dark and harsh day for me. I parted my way from my best friend with whom I was for the last 5 years. It happened really quick and I wasn’t even able to talk to him. He suddenly ended all the relations with me and this happened in the early days of my summer vacations.   
My friend’s name was Rahul. He was slightly intelligent but was really proud of his mathematic tricks. But, after all he was one of my best friends. Our friendship had faced many obstructions before this and I think this was another one.
I still remember, how two months before we started playing in the ground after seven o’ clock p.m. Discussing our day and laughing there just freed us from the day’s stress. We used to give water to plants in the park through a pipe and see them growing in front of our eyes.
Once, I asked Rahul to sprinkle some water on my face but instead of this, he turned the face of the pipe towards me with full pressure and I could still remember how I survived the whole night with water in my nose.
By this, Rahul started an era of a new sport in the park. Meanwhile, we were joined by two more friends, Manan and Himanshu, both healthy and muscular. It was like an adventure for Rahul and me to insult them and then run away. This adventure normally ended us in trouble as both of them were muscular than us and we were beaten by them, although friendly but it hurt too. After all, this was seen as a game for all of us and none of us felt bad.
I remember how one evening, Rahul was making fun of Manan and Manan took his slippers. That was a real adventure for both of us. I assured Rahul that his slippers would be back in the right condition and then we marched from my home to the park. We entered the park bravely but marched back when we saw Manan in a dangerous mood. Then we cooked up a strategy. We entered the park from the other side and took the large pressure pipe while the small pressure pipe was with Manan. The moment was a breathtaking moment for two of us. The fight was going to take place on the footpath. And it started. I moved with the pipe towards Manan and so was Manan doing. I instructed Rahul to take his slippers when Manan was busy. But Manan was so active that he wasn’t able to do so. Then, I thought that this was the time when I had to show true friendship and so I did. I rushed towards Manan with my pipe’s water clashing with that of Manan’s and suddenly a revolutionary thing happened, Manan was defeated by me and we succeeded in our mission. What a great evening was it even though we were scolded in our houses for our wet clothes.
Our other activities included doing exercises such as pull-ups and push-ups, doing long jump and racing. Every evening gave us new lessons to learn in life and awesome adventures to do.
I don’t exactly remember how we stopped doing these activities but I believe the main reason was the pressure of homework. Also, by this time, the summer vacations had started and only me and Rahul were left. After this, Rahul started making other friends and I see it as the main reason for us discontinuing our friendship.
Nowadays, whenever I visit the park, I see four children playing there and some sweet memories flashes in my mind with a dark and harsh memory of that day.
That day was like a normal day. Rahul and I were watering the plants and the ground in the evening, when suddenly someone called me and I moved to my right with the pipe held in my hand and I suddenly noticed that I made Rahul’s clothes wet. I said sorry to him many times but he won’t listen. He took the pipe from my hand and made mine clothes also wet. This angered me. We both were now ready for a verbal fight where we fight by words. Both of us were now blaming each other and suddenly a lady called both of us. She was Rahul’s mother and was in a really bad mood. She scolded both of us and then her lips spelled out seven words which were “You both won’t play together now onwards.”, that made me lonely for my left-over vacations. Here, one role was played by the other friends of Rahul, who made Rahul’s mother believe that I was wrong whereas Rahul was right.
I still think the fight may have been resolved without the interference of the third person. But still I respect them and I have a section of my heart devoted to my best friend, Rahul.
Now, whenever the memory of that day flashes in my mind, I close my eyes and the only question that arises in my mind is, “WILL WE BECOME FRIENDS AGAIN?”, “WILL WE BECOME FRIENDS AGAIN?”, “WILL WE BECOME FRIENDS AGAIN?” …….
******
By: Dhruv Kandpal
©2019